Thursday, May 24, 2012

Constructivism in Practice

Going into the resources for this week, I truly could not make the distinction between constructivism and constructionism.  Dating back to the first time I heard of these theories, I distinctly remember not being able to tell them apart.  I am unsure as to why, whether it was the way it was taught to me, my inability to grasp the concept, or I simply could not process the information, I just could not tell the difference between the two.  This week, a few simple words from Dr. Michael Orey made it very clear to me.  Constructivism is the theory that states each learner constructs his or her own learning experiences and own meanings.  Constructionism is the theory that states people learn best when they build an external artifact or something they can share with others (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Dr. Orey then went on to make this perfectly clear to me, in the constructionism revolves around "the learner building stuff" (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Though this may seem like a simplistic way of describing this process, it is certainly very descriptive.  In a constructionist setting, learners are directly involved in building artifacts, and sharing their beliefs with others. 

After I gained a sense of understanding about what these two theories were, it was time to see how they could be used to enhance the learning of my students.  Both constructivism and constructionism do indeed have a place in the classroom, and the learning resources from this week made it clear as to where they can fit into a well planned lesson.  Our classroom reading this week, from Using Technology in the Classroom that Works truly highlighted some ways that constructivism is able to be used in the classroom, notable through the use of spreadsheets.  Spreadsheets are interactive, in that students can manipulate the spreadsheet to help their own learning, they can consider graphical patterns, and they can test their predictions by receiving quick feedback on multiple scenarios (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski, 2007).  Students can use that feedback to help them construct their own understanding of what they have studied. 

While this certainly seems like a worthwhile endeavor, spreadsheets themselves are extremely time consuming, and difficult to set up.  Many more experienced teachers are not as savvy when it comes to many of the newer technologies, and they may feel overwhelmed when setting up a spreadsheet.  Additionally, even if the spreadsheet is set up, many teachers may feel that they do not have the class time to teach the students how to create their spreadsheets.  This is the great thing about this technology.  Once a teacher creates a formula, the student simply needs to input the data, and the formula does the rest.  Students are then able to use class time to use these spreadsheets to learn the content (Pitler, et al. 2007). 

Pitler et. al describe six different processes that help students generate a hypothesis.  They are:  systems analysis, problem solving, historical investigation, invention, experimental inquiry, and decision making (Pitler et. al, 2007).  It is clear to me that when students are involved in the invention process, they are involved in constructivist activity.  If they are inventing, they are clearly creating their own learning process.  As Dr. Orey stated, constructivism is indeed when students constructs his or her own meaning to a topic (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  If a student is involved in any kind of activity that involves creation of meaning to a topic, and I believe that constructivist theory fits this.

However, the same can be said for constructionism.  If a student is creating, or inventing, they are building an external artifact for learning, and they can share that with others (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  In other words, I believe this process can be both constructivist and constructionist.  I also believe that the other five tasks Pitler et. al describe are all constructionist.  Additionally, I believe that these five can fit into the parameters of project-based learning.  As Dr. Orey states, project based learning involves students in the creation of a product or performance, conducting research, and synthesizing information (Orey, 2001).  This sounds quite similar to the chapter from Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, in that investigation, inquiry, decision making, and analysis help students generate hypotheses (Pitler, et al., 2007).  These types of activities are certainly capable of allowing students to use an external artifact to help drive both instruction and learning.

Although I believe that I have a much better understanding of what both constructivist and constructionist theories are, I still feel that I may be overlapping the two.  I do think that the two overlap in some ways, and can certainly be confusing to those who have not studied them.  Still, both theories have a place in the classroom of today, and certainly are driving many modern instructional models.  I would like to think of myself as a constructionist thinker, as in my social studies class I have the students using information (artifacts) to help drive their knowledge.  One thing is for sure, I can certainly better my instruction, and I strongly believe that this course is pushing me to become a much better teacher for my students.

References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program seven: Constructionist and constructivist learning theories [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology.

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from
http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, before this week I also didn't understand the difference between Constructionist and Constructivist. The two words sound the same and have very similar concept behind their definition. Like you mentioned, they are still overlapped within the classroom setting. However, I feel that overlapping is not necessarily a bad thing. The use, application, and overlapping of all the theories provided differentiation to meet all student's needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in complete agreement. The overlapping of the two cannot be a bad thing. The more opporunites there are for us to diversify lessons, and the more opportunities we have to apply those lessons in real-life sitations allow for our students to construct their own meanings of what is being taught. The use of these types of lessons allows for the studetns to construct their own ideas in the classroom. That is indeed a tremendously effective way of teaching.

      Delete
  2. Scott have you every used any of the mapping software in your geography classroom that our text spoke of? Personally, I had a more difficult time this week trying to apply the idea of testing and hypothesis to my language arts area; however, I found all the examples in the book very interesting, like I would want to do them if I was a student!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, with the year winding down, I have not had the opportunity to integrate some of the newer software, or sample any newer opportunities. They all sound fantastic, and you are certainly correct, as a student, I would love to do it. However, with the end of the school year rapidly approaching, it will be very difficult to implement these into my classroom.
      As a social studies teacher, I certainly feel your pain in regard to using the software for testing and hypotheses. It seems as though it is a software which is geared more towards math and science than language arts and social studies. I do plan on using spreadsheets next year though in the early part of our year, especially when we begin talking about population and population patterns. We introduce topics such as birthrate and deathrate, and have the students analyze these in the countries that we study (early in the year, it is Sub-Saharan Africa). They can then study the data, analyze the problems, and see if they can come up with a solution (this has been the most difficult part so far with non-technologically based lessons).
      Still, I am going to find ways to implement these by sitting down this summer and truly making time to integrate these technologies.

      Delete
  3. Scott
    I too have had troubles in the past with fully understanding the differences between the two terms. This week's resources have really helped me to understand that one was build off the other. I also think that some of the reason I sometimes struggle to identify the distinguishing characteristics is because they have often been introduced at the same time in my classes. Before I could get a good grasp on one, I was reading about the next and the definitions became a blur. It still may take me some time to internalize the exact definitions of these terms but this week's resources really did help!

    Have you ever used the generating and testing hypotheses before in your classes? If so, what are some of the topics your students have been allowed to create their own hypothesis for?

    As a math teacher my initial thought when using a spreadsheet was, "but I want them to work on their calculations and master the basics," but after reading on, I do feel that there may be a use for spreadsheets in my classroom. Spreadsheets can be used to create basic tables to sort and represent data, or they can be a working spreadsheet to facilitate the organization and analysis of information. Allowing students to use the function feature to make large calculations really can help them to focus their energy on analyzing the data instead of just trying to compute large calculations. I feel this can also be helpful for my students with special needs who are able to compare numbers but may make numerous mistakes if they are to do the calculations independently. Having a pre-made spreadsheet might make it possible for some of my students to work on their own and require less assistance from the teacher.

    I see in your reply to Mary that utilizing the instructional strategy in social studies may be a bit more difficult than in math or science. I believe this definitely could be a challenge. Without knowing your standards, it is difficult to offer suggestions, but giving students the overall topic and letting them select their question or hypothesis about that topic and then conducting their own research may be a start. For example, they could research the differences between the branches of government (that may be too young though), or the differences between countries or government systems. Your students could create a debate and make artifacts such as a powerpoint or posters to try to sway the jury (maybe a visiting class) to agree with them. A simple what were times like in __________(location) during the _________ (timespan) may be a starting point.

    I do feel simulations are a great way to get students involved in the content they are learning. I'm hoping more of these will be developed as we transition to the common core and our states will organize these in a way that is easy to find the resources that meet our students' needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,

    I enjoyed reading your thoughts and appreciated you making the connection between constructivism and constructionism. I agree, they definitely overlap. Either way you slice it, both involve the construction of knowledge and that can be a powerful tool in creating long-lasting understandings. I know there are differences in the two, but they seem to be subtle. Again, if our students are able construct meaning from their experiences, the learning can be long lasting.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete